DAP First Call
612.874.7063 | 10AM-4PM Monday-Friday
For more information about registering for Youth Services, please contact Angela Lewis-Dmello at 612.874.7063 x214 or via email.
Top 3 concepts children learn at DAP:
- Abuse is not OK and it isn’t their fault.
- Learn to identify their feelings and express them in healthy ways.
- How to keep themselves safe (safety plan).
DAP has been a leader in the area of treatment for children in violent families. We offer therapy groups for children 5-12 years of age, and adolescents. The groups meet for ten weekly structured sessions that are led by a male and female team of therapists. The therapy goals are to help children:
- Give responsibility for the violence to the appropriate person
- Relieve feelings of shame and isolation
- Deal with loss or separation from the abusive parent
- Protect themselves from violence in the home
- Express their feelings openly and appropriately
- Resolve conflict nonviolently
- Cultivate healthy gender roles
- Develop a healthy self-image
Most importantly, the groups break the inter-generational pattern of destructive behavior so that children can resolve the present trauma and grow into healthy individuals.
If your son or daughter lives or has lived in a home where domestic violence occurs, please contact DAP’s First Call Desk at 612.874.7063 to learn how to join the program