DAP First Call
612.874.7063 | 8:00am-5:00pm Monday-Friday
Abuse and Your Relationship
If you are in a violent relationship, one of the most important steps you can take is to make a safety plan both for home and the workplace. These plans contain simple but critical steps you can take to increase your safety while you deal with the violence you face in your personal life.
Personal Safety Planning
- If you are in danger, dial 9-1-1.
- Call DAP and talk to a staff member on our First Call desk at 612-874-7063.
- Memorize a crisis intervention number — in Minnesota, the number is 1-866-223-1111.
- You may also call the National Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-SAFE (1-800-799-7233) for information about services in your area. Or click here to visit their website.
- Be aware of local domestic violence programs and other resources. Check in with them if you are confused or unsure about what is happening in your relationship.
- Be aware of your partner’s abusive cues including their demeanor, expressions, threats, actions, etc.
- Be aware of your own cues in reaction to your partner’s cues — these can help you know when to seek a safe place to stay.
- Talk with advocates and supportive friends and family about the abuse before it continues to escalate and occurs again.
- You do not have to keep this a secret. Ask about your options and what you can do.